Monday, February 23, 2009

I Wrote A Narrative Double Sonnet

I was assigned in my poetry class to write a narrative double sonnet that's a retelling of a famous myth or legend. I chose the myth of Icarus. I followed the Shakespearean rules for sonnets - 28 lines, a-b-a-b-c-d-c-d-e-f-e-f-g-g rhyming, in iambic pentameter. Tell me what you think.

A sparkling wave broke forth across the sea
Lashing and foaming, pounding far below
As Icarus stood, small heart filled with glee,
At all the great lengths Daedalus might go
To gain their freedom. Great wings, wide and proud,
All flighted with the feathers of those birds
(Except, i’faith, he should have wove a shroud,)
Whose clarion calls could every day be heard
Across the island. Daedalus called heed
To his young sun, snapped his fingers fast,
He bade him listen to his words of need,
“Flap not too high, lest that flap be your last.”
Fixed Icarus with flutt’ring wings, quite light,
Kissed him once more, then both of them took flight.

The sun upon their faces warmed their heart
More than their bodies. The cold ocean spray
Would often foam up, forcing them apart
With bitter, icy fingers. The boy’s play
Took them into a squawking flock of gulls
Enraged at this invasion of their space,
They drove old Daedalus down near ships’ hulls
While Icarus soared up to the sun’s face,
But then, the sun, cruel master that it is,
Shined down its burning rays with terrible strength,
Melting the wings of poor young Icarus
Robbing his flight of its remaining length.
He plunged into the unforgiving sea,
The birds, still heedless, flapped away, still free.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I the first comment? Golly.

Lucas, this poem is extremely creative and shows great depth and thought and effort. You got me curious, so I just had to research the story. Ya done good. Keep up the great work. So glad that you are posting again. I missed you. As I am reading these while at work, the short posts work much better for me and (I'll assume) are much easier for you.

Keep writin' and I'll keep readin'.

yer ant,
karen

Anonymous said...

I love the "squawking gulls enraged at this invasion of their space." Good imagery. I also loved the "unforgiving sea." I like it.
loveya,
Mama

Anonymous said...

Just looked at your website. First of all, it's COLORFUL! What a great blue!
Secondly, I love the way you have a conversation with yourself and the website viewer, and you kind of interchange who's who...crazy.
I like it. I would add more travlin' photos, though.
love,
Mama