Friday, November 23, 2007

An Extremely Short And Undescriptive Update

Sadly, it's true. I mean, what have I done that's noteworthy in the last 24 hours?

Oh, well, there's one thing. Last night my father and I had the following conversation.

Him: So when are you leaving tomorrow?
Me: I figured around 5:00.
Him: That's when the bus picks you up, then?
Me: ...What bus?
Him: ...What do you mean, what bus?

It transpired that he thought I was riding a bus home, and I thought he was driving me home. This caused no small amount of consternation in our household, no doubt. We were of the opinion that we were going to have to leave at noon tomorrow in order to make it to Gainesville with a reasonable amount of time left to drive back home. A bleak prospect, especially since I had already invited all of my friends over for games and lunch, but we had to work with what we were given.

Early the next morning, I set about calling the bus company every half an hour or so, hoping to get connected so I might beg and plead for a ticket on the 5:30 bus home from Miami. My parents agreed that they would take me to the bus stop at 5:15 and we would wait there and see if the bus would take me. If not, we would proceed, and they would find a hotel in Gainesville. Not an ideal solution, probably would have led to hurt feelings all around, but it was the best we could do.

Still, I was determined to make the most of my last few hours with my friends, so I invited everyone over anyway for lunch and lots of games of Magic. They trickled in, and as they did, I asked each person with a car if they would give me a ride instead. Each turned me down, understandably so, as who wants to drive all that way and then come back just because I was an idiot and didn't fix the departure times beforehand?

Then Stephen walked in, and our lament was related to him. He said "Oh, you're leaving today? My brother is driving up to UF this afternoon. He can probably give you a ride." A quick phone call confirmed that this was indeed the case and not merely a vain hope, and yet again, a hastily thrown-together deus-ex-machina saved my bacon. So, er, that worked out fairly well.

After Magic, a few of us went over to my friend Nolan's house, where we attempted to play StarCraft: The Board Game. I say attempted, because the instruction manual was about sixty pages long, and I couldn't make heads or tails of the rules even though I was the only one with the determination to try. So we abandoned the efforts (but we promised to try again later, because this is friggin' StarCraft, we can't just give that up!) and played Apples to Apples instead.

Apples to Apples is an entertaining game wherein each person has a hand of seven cards, each containing a thing, which can range from "My Mind" to "Cigarette Burns" to "Keanu Reeves" to "Waco, Texas" to, well, anything that's vaguely a noun. The judge (the role rotates each round) reveals an adjective card, like "Odd" or "Organic" or "Creepy" or even "European." Then each player secretly submits the card in his hand that most fits the adjective. It is then entirely up to the judge to determine which of the cards he was given fits the adjective most effectively. This can result in some odd choices, with "Alfred Hitchcock" chosen for "Creepy," "Glaciers" chosen for "Timeless," and of course, for "Awesome," the only card that could be chosen was "Batman." Obviously.

I also got to see my sister, Michelle, which is as rare an occurrence as it is an awesome one. She's off in her own little world...but in a way, it's much, much bigger than mine ever could be. You'd really have to know her.

Today's Luke-Approved YouTube Link of the Day is this little ditty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB4jxdLTy-A An episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog, which is the best comedy/horror show I've ever seen. Emphasis on "horror" a little too often sometimes, but I like it a lot. This particular one is "King Ramses' Curse," wherein Eustace (the aged farmer, owner of the titular Courage) acquires an ancient Egyptian slab, to the wrath of its previous owner, the corpse of King Ramses. Hilarious results.

REPLIES.

Stephe: Well, yeah, I already said I was sorry, man. I can't be perfect and invite absolutely everyone. I'll be sure to invite you next time, I promise. Tell your brother thanks for giving me a ride. And you know what, the Gators are going to trash the Seminoles. Even you admit it. McMillan will make an appearance on Monday. And see? I ate your stinkin' cantaloupe. In front of you, even. Happy now?

Jake: Yes, WWH was awesome, if the ending was a bit contrived. The site I use for comics is http://comics.colpaca.net which contains most of the important Marvel comics from the last six months. And, as I say, McMillan will appear on Monday. Tonal shift, as I said. Wee-hee.

Vic: You say that...what does that mean? Is that because you enjoy the fact that I handily encapsulated everything you didn't care about to skip? I suppose you're right...but I was kind of tired, as I am now after driving for a long time, so it wasn't my best work. You'll see more of my best work on Monday, I promise. Tonal shift, woo-hoo. And don't you start on the cantaloupe bender.

Many goodbyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that I was the one that first stated that you should eat more cantaloupe. Yes. Love you.Vic.

Anonymous said...

At last, Luke has eaten the cantaloupe, and so I will finally stfu about it...for now at least. I am curious as to how this starcraft board game is played. Is it true to the game which it is based on or is just some flavor pasting on top of a totally unrelated game concept? I'm sure you'll show me at some point. I have to wonder how you and Alex got along on the trip up to UF seeing as you guys don't have anything obvious in common aside from a hobby of reading. I actually just watched that whole Courage episode all the way through. I remember that episode, that was one of the better ones, good show all around. I can't wait for the new and improved McMillan.

This is the last mention of Cantaloupe!

-Steve

Anonymous said...

You are right that, in a way, your sister's world is much larger than yours. But in another way, it is much smaller as well. Present as opposed to possible futures, if you know what I mean...

Nice job on relating the excitement about the methodology for the trip back to Gainesville. I fully agree that "consternation" is the precise word for what happened in the house. But at least it happened when you had time to recover from the misunderstanding.

And (though it actively pains me to say this), congratulations on the game. The superior team clearly won, and the band looked very good while it was happening.

-- Your frustrated Dad