Friday, July 18, 2008

Protector of the Universe: A Tidbit

I decided I needed a little perspective.

So I spent a million years floating in space.

I'm not completely irresponsible. I didn't abandon my duty or my planet or anything like that. I jumped back in time to before intelligent life was even a gleam in the universe's eye, and just...waited.

When I arrived, I was a little surprised to find that though I hadn't moved in space, I was now floating in vast emptiness, the Earth and the sun and all that nowhere in sight. It took a minute for it to occur to me that, duh, stars and planets and galaxies move over time, and I'd just stepped over a hell of a lot of "over time."

Then...I waited.

I didn't go crazy. I had made sure of that. But to paraphrase an excellent modern author:

"The first ten thousand years were the worst. The second ten thousand years, they were the worst too. The third ten thousand years I didn't like at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline."

It actually wasn't too bad. Very peaceful, just drifting amongst the stars and knowing absolutely that nothing, nothing would interrupt me. My internal clock kept track of time, and before I knew it, a million years had just flown by. I then came back to the exact time and place I left. (It was in Morocco, in a hotel which would have been rather stately if it hadn't been for the holes in the walls and ceiling from artillery shells. I had wanted to travel a bit.)

I didn't go crazy, but neither did I gain any great wisdom. There was nothing to gain it from. Still, I think the experience has enriched me as a person. It certainly gave me a better sense of perspective. It only left me with one really permanent change, though.

If I ever, ever, ever again hear someone say "I'm bored," I will smack that person in the back of the head.

4 comments:

rekenner said...

So, due to the last Protector of the Universe story you wrote, I've actually read all of them that I can find. There's the three you've posted recently and the one about the man with the violin, are there any others?

I really like the concept you're going for, with them, the perspective of someone with absolute power and how that makes thigns different. It's cool.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the brevity of this story. Clearly you had the punch line in mind from the beginning, and mental outlines certainly help things come together better. CANTALOUPE!

-Steve

Anonymous said...

I'm bored.

Anonymous said...

Luke, I love that Jake is bored. Did you hit him on the back of the head?
Perspective is all, isn't it?
love,
Mama