Thursday, February 14, 2008

Update In The Morning

I'm tired. Today didn't go as well as I would have hoped, and I'm a little down. No need to reply to this, it'll be gone in the morning, by noon tomorrow. I guaran-freaking-tee it.

Edit: Ha! This is before noon! 11:52, chumps. Now all I need is some content. That'll, er, come real soon. Next hour or so. I'm writing it as you read this.

I had a lot to say, about the RA meeting I had last night, about the stuff I've done last few days, but all that has suddenly and seemingly become irrelevant. The answer as to why? Four short words: I got a date.

Ooh, those words are fine. Think I'll repeat them a bit.

I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date, I got a date.

That's...that's about enough. For now. I got a date. Heh.

So here's how it happened. The girl's name is Rachel. I had talked to her a few times previous and we hit it off fairly well, on account of it came out early in our conversation that she was a gamer girl. She spotted my "Rules of Video Games" T-shirt that my sister bought me for Christmas years ago (gotta call her and thank her for that), and mentioned that she herself liked to play the occasional game. Conversation ensued, and she said that she went to Video Game Club once a week on Friday's. I like the sound of that. Her exact words: "I like a guy who knows how to DDR." I do. But I'm out of practice and must practice heavily. It'll be good for me.

So last night at around 1:45 a.m., I went to the Graham Oasis convenience store across the street from Hume (how convenient), where she works and where I had met her previously. I didn't know she was working then, but I was pleasantly surprised to meet her. We talked a bit, and she mentioned that she had been up for the last 48 hours straight. Apparently, she had need to pull an all-nighter, and after that, had seen no reason to go back to sleep. So here she was, on a caffeine bender, as she described it. Conversation ensued once more.

Her: This is nothing. I've stayed up for three days at a time.
Me: Oh, I did that once.
Her: Any reason in particular?
Me: Ever heard of a game called Homeworld II?
Her: Uh...no.
Me: You know like, uh, StarCraft and WarCraft and those?
Her: Oh, StarCraft? I love that game. I'm looking forward to StarCraft 3. [She considers Brood War to be a separate game, she told me later.]
Me: (thinking) I might just have to marry this girl.

So that worked. A few minutes later, we had this conversation:

Her: How was your Valentine's Day?
Me: Not good.
Her: Aww, why?
Me: Because I'm so desperately lonely. (Editor's note: This was said in a joking fashion. I didn't bawl my eyes out in front of her. It was sent and understood as a joke. [I had asked a girl out two days previous, and made moves on a girl that night, with no success.]
Her: Well, maybe I could be your valentine. *bats eyelashes*
Me: Er...[While my brain is screaming at me You idiot! Respond! Get your rear in gear, mister, I want coherency and I want it now!!] Okay. Sure. I'd like that.
Her: Well, it's too late now, it's already tomorrow.
Me: Well, in that case, how about being my retroactive valentine?
Her: *giggles* Okay.

We talked for a bit more. I bought her a Mountain Dew, which she had mentioned drinking (she told me, though, that she got them for free on account of her job, which made me feel dumb), and a small heart-shaped box of candy. She liked them. We arranged a date for Monday afternoon to go and have lunch.

I left, because I had to leave on account of the store was closing. She gave me a hug as I was at the door, and as I pulled away from the hug I gave her a small kiss on the cheek. (Why? Because I had consumed vast quantities of sugar earlier, and was a little erratic anyway on account of finally getting a date, so my confidence was dangerously, recklessly high.) She smiled and blushed a little as she closed the door and walked inside.

That's really about it. I couldn't sleep, so I walked around the campus and up and down University road for a little while. Then I went to bed, woke up, talked on the phone a bit, and posted this here. A very unsubstantive update, yes, but...I got a date. That's all I want to think about.

The Luke-Approved YouTube Link of the Day is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hue3B772hXA It could not be anything else. It could not.

REPLIES.

Mom: I may have gotten shot down, but I have apparently learned to compensate. Working on eating more vegetables. I'll be careful at the club, I know not to consume vast quantities of drugs and alcohol. I am not, after all, my sister. I'm not going to lie to you and say I haven't drunk at all at college, but I do so very, very seldomly. I might sign up for a simpler Spanish course in the fall, if my schedule allows.

Steve: Not that I know of, no. And bear in mind that I taste things much differently than you do. Onions I can't tolerate, not in the slightest little bit, raw or cooked. Garlic, maybe. Shut up about the milk. I'll send you that picture, trust me, I will. And yes, I concentrate too much in English to really learn another language well.

Mike: That's good. I'm looking for a house, I'll go back to the Apartment Hunters people on Monday. Distance is, of course, a huge factor.

Kelli: That is good. That is very good. Good to see you here. I had mono once, it sucked. I'm coming down next weekend, about five days from today. I'll look into Across the Universe. And yes, the background still goes blinkety-blink.

Dad: I'm emerging, and the fact that I got a date is helping this along enormously. I'll give things a try. And if this girl doesn't work out, well, I will find another. My confidence just needed boosting, is all.

End.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm up and trying to be the first to comment. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY.
Love you a lot,
Mama

Anonymous said...

Luke, most girls do not react well to being told by a guy "I'm desperately lonely." It scares them. I'd pull back a bit if I were you. Also, being desperate makes you make desperate moves, go with ANYONE, and not every girl is good for you, you know?
Still, congratulations.
How did the RA meeting go?
love you,
Mama

Anonymous said...

Niiiice job getting that date, man. Hope it works out, best of luck from me.

Funny you should mention running with a friend, Travis, Kelli and I met at my house today and did just that. See, a while back, Kelli and I decided on the following:
She wants to tone her legs a bit before MegaCon, and I'm generally out of shape.
Of course, right after such was decided...she went and caught Mono. So it was postponed until she was well and we started talking again about MegaCon. [I'm going as Alucard from Hellsing. Don't tell Dan.]
Travis was there because, well, Kelli was there. His knee is apparently all better, too, so he was able.

-Jake

Anonymous said...

I will be a little less forceful than your mother on this one. Said in a overly joking manner, batting way over-done puppy dog eyes, making it absolutely clear that you are not serious, that can work. But if a girl gets the slightest whiff of "I'm actually desperate for a relationship", stick a fork in whatever chance you might have had for even a single date, because that chance is done...

And this blog is just a bit more than the slightest whiff... :^)

So what are you planning on doing on Monday?

And how *did* your RA meeting go?

-- Your curious Dad

Anonymous said...

There's not a whole lot of content here...but uh, congradulations. Granted, I hope you have more reason to like her than her awareness of video games. You want to marry her because she's heard of starcraft? Come on, raise those standards just a little bit. More details, especially a clue as to what she looks like, would be great for your next update. Oh, and do you have plans for the weekend of the 1st?

Twenty two days!

-Steve

Anonymous said...

I like your blog.

If you are curious as to who I am, we used to go to school together in highschool, and we never spoke once. Haha.