Thursday, February 7, 2008

One Person Replying. One. What Is This Nonsense?

I never thought I would be saying this, but Steven Nebb just pwned everybody. He posts the only two comments! What is this ridiculousness? That post wasn't that boring. Not even my own mother deigned to comment, and I'll not even speak about Jake or ANYONE ELSE WHO NEVER COMMENTS. Hello, Kait, Matt, Dan, Daniel, Travis, and anyone else I forgot. How's it going. Oh, wait. I don't know. Because you never write.

And frankly, I feel your pain. I really have nothing to write about. I haven't been doing anything of special importance. Game Night was intriguing, I guess I can venture a few paragraphs on that.

I participated in a Magic: the Gathering Morningtide draft. I like the new Morningtide cards, they are very neat. I built a blue/black Faeries/Rogues deck, although this was somewhat complicated by the fact that three out of the five of us at the table were building blue/black. The schmucks were inhaling all of my good cards like smoke. The other two guys built red/green and mono-white, respectively. Of course. The mono-white deck was pretty good, and I never played against the red/green.

It was cool. The first match I played, against the mono-white player, went well, at least in the beginning. First game, I stomped all over his face. ("Not the face!" I could hear him cry. Well, not really.) Second game, I was color screwed, drawing Island after Island and sitting on five black cards in hand. So I lost. Third game, I was just straight-out mana screwed, sitting on seven cards and two lands. The occasional card I actually could play was swiftly smacked down by my opponent, who really didn't expect to win and was both shocked and gratified at his deck's success.

But this lackluster performance was more than made up for by my second match. I was facing a blue/black/white Wizard deck. Let me tell you, the two games we played were both absolutely epic. I know that word is overused, but within the standards of Magic games I've played, these are surely ones that will endure the test of time, evade the erosion that memory brings, and stand out as completely awesome games. We both had so many tricks and counter-tricks, it was absurd. I beat him in the first game, but I had an awesome starting hand, so it wasn't too difficult. Long and entertaining, though, as he had trick after trick.

The second game was even better. Out of 40-card libraries, we were both down to about six or seven cards in each library at the end of the game. It stretched on and on and on. We all drew all of our best cards, and we always, always had a response. He tried to draw lots of cards with Mind Spring, I had a counterspell in my hand (counter target noncreature spell) from the beginning. I tried to play two Faeries that got bonuses from one I had existing on the field, he killed one and dynamited the existing one while the second was just coming into play. It was a long and epic battle, one I eventually ended up winning as well...at one life. And I held this for five or so turns, too. Quite amazing.

I forfeited the next two matches. I wanted to play other games with my friends, my opponents weren't going to complain as they just got a free win, and there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to top those two games. They were perfect.

Next, I played the dice-rolling game from Pirates of the Caribbean, though I am given to understand that said game far, far predates the movie. But that's where I first saw it, so whatever. I ended up losing to the far older and more experienced Greg, who beat me with one die remaining. Narrow victories and defeats were the order of the day. Then we played Fury of Dracula, which I have described in some detail in previous posts, and which ended in a disappointing draw after we ran out of time.

After that...hmm...I decided I'm going to live with Mike next year, Mike being one of my friends from the game club, who has often commented on this here blog and is a pretty neat guy if you don't consider all of his gaping personality flaws and crippling defects besides. (Kidding.) I haven't actually figured out how to accomplish this mighty goal, so tomorrow morning I'm going to Housing to bellyache at them and lambast them for having a rotten website interface. I can't get anything done there.

What else? Victoria got her wisdom teeth out Wednesday morning, and I agreed to drive her home after the surgery. This caused me to walk all the heck over campus, up and down various roads, getting horribly lost, tired, and hot. I walked everywhere until I found the car, then I drove back and forth fifty times because I couldn't find where it was I was supposed to go. When I found it, Victoria wasn't there. (She had been waiting inside for me to call her.) We eventually figured it out, but it took some doing, and my legs have been all cramped up all today on account of all the walking.

There's really not much else to say. Not much cool stuff happens up here...I'll try and figure out more stuff to post next time.

The Luke-Approved YouTube Link of the Day is this odd little piece that people swear up and down is a real interview, but looks like something that came straight out of Monty Python. It's called "The Front Fell Off." http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WcU4t6zRAKg

REPLY. (grr)

Steve: I'll probably go in tomorrow morning to the radio station, I went ahead and did the survey today. He, Mr. Guscott, said I could come in whenever I was ready, and he seemed sincere, but even so I'd best not keep him waiting. And yes, the concept is a very neat one. But there's a lot of technical stuff I need to memorize in addition to just speaking and calling songs. So not easy.

Bottled algae? Disgusting sounding. And as for why: I'm a sucker for a smooth talker. I already take multivitamins, so no troubles there. I don't want to take the picture yet, I'll take it when I'm bloody well good and ready. Episode II rocks. I know Mewtwo got cut, but he was such a rotten character that it really doesn't matter. (Not that Pichu was winning awards, but still.)

Again with your anti-milk tirade. Don't let this become the new cantaloupe. I can't handle it. My mind would fracture under the stress.

Bye. (If anyone but Steven is reading.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure no one else cared enough to reply, but at least you've still got me, right? *Luke stares in disbelief as a horrible accident involving bottled algae and a piece of string takes the life of his last reader...or not.*

Speaking of Magic, I started playing Battlegrounds again recently as some old online friends started playing again and naturally invited me. How is Morningtide anyway? Is Magic more fun or less fun overall with this power creep? I remember my standards of what was a good card were shaken a little at our last draft.

When you found Vic, how doped up was she? I know my brother Alex was pumped full of morphine after his wisdom teeth were removed and it was hilarious.

Funny youtube, I just love how swiftly the conversation moves along without straying from the front of the boat coming off.

I'm not going to see you this spring break since you say you aren't going and every cell phone can take a photo and send it in seconds, and you won't send a picture? Why mention this new look if I'll never get to see it? That's abuse of blogging, a serious crime with fines potentially as high as 15 rapings in Brawl or more at the judge's discretion. A single photo or a felonious charge, the choice is yours.

Milk killing children, a gallon at a time.

Thirty days!

-Steve

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Luke. o.o
I meant to leave a comment, but I suppose I never got around to it.

I'm in the process of asking people what their MegaCon plans are, as you requested. Kelli and her parents are a bit confused on the matter, and I'm in the process of asking TJ. I'll tell you what I find out later.

-Jake

Anonymous said...

RE: your legs cramping up. I hope you are continuing your exercise program, as we hit the slopes in less than a month, and you had better be in shape for it. Remember one year when neither of us was ready, and how badly our legs cramped up? Think about this in your off-hours from your procrastination study...

Not much to say on the Magic games, sorry.

-- Your sweating (because of my own exercise program) Dad