Thursday, January 10, 2008

Regularity Has Outed. New Schedule.

I can't post on Wednesdays. I simply can't. I leave my room at 9:15 AM and I don't get back until midnight. They're my busiest days, and as such, I'm going to slightly adjust my schedule. Instead of Mon-Wed-Fri, it'll be Tue-Thur-Sat. I like this way better anyway, it lets me tell you all of my Saturday-related hijinks that very day instead of making you wait until Monday.

So. Wednesday is a horribly busy day, with a 3-hour class in the morning, then a 1-hour class, then another 3-hour class. Nearly half my entire schedule is concentrated on Wednesdays. And yet, I have no problem with that. Why? Because both of those 3-hour classes are completely awesome. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm going to give a rundown of my five classes, and how much I think I'm going to enjoy each of them.

SPN2200, Intermediate Spanish I: This is the toughest Spanish course I've yet taken. It's complicated by the fact that the teacher, except under rare circumstances, speaks only Spanish in class. I find I have to devote my full attention, all of it, to listening, or else I miss too much and don't understand a word. This doesn't even allow for things like note-taking. We'll be giving oral presentations, that should be...well, not flawless, but quite good. I'm either going to finally grasp Spanish this semester, or fail and abandon it completely. No middle ground. I am delighted, though, that except for some minor vocabulary-related decay, I haven't lost any of my proficiency with the language during the two semesters that I didn't take it.

MMC2100, Writing for Mass Communication: My most important class this semester, as it's the ur-prerequisite for nearly all of the advanced journalism courses. This class, as I have previously reported, is going to make or break things. The grading system is draconian. For a "fact error" in the stories we write during lab, that is to say, if we misspell a name or get a date wrong, it's 50 points off. 50 points. Out of 100. For one error. This...this is going to take some serious proofreading. But I'm ready to accept the challenge, tough as it may be, and I'm quite confident of being able to write in the soulless, no-flair style that efficient news writing demands. Then I'll go into features and I'll be able to write as creatively as I desire. Here's hoping for a game-reviewer or Dave-Barry-esque job in the future.

POS4931, Honors Media and War: Hoo boy. I should have realized this was a 4000-level course before I signed up for it. It's going to be intense. For one thing, the professor's definition of a "short" paper is a mere 10 pages. A long paper, such as the one we have due at the end of the semester, is anywhere between 20 and 30 pages! But we have the option of doing something besides a paper, something like an oral presentation, a video, a series of photos, etc. This class is going to be very high-intensity, and it doesn't help that what I've read of the assigned texts has bored me to tears. I'm just hoping that I might be able to get journalism-degree credit for this class. That'd be nice. Then this difficult course will not have been taken in vain. It seems to be a lot more "war" and a lot less "media" than I would have judged based on the course description. Oh well. So it goes, I suppose.

Now we get to the fun two, the two I'm really excited about.

ENG2935, Artists in Several Media: I didn't know what to expect from this course. I feared that it might be a traditional English-major "understand the underlying motifs and the irreconcilable metaphorical sub-structure and super-structure, contrast with the overlying themes and qualify your statement. Be concise" style. I was terrified of this. Luckily, it was not this way. The professor, Sid Homan, is a real ball of fire. He's one of those theater teachers who's constantly sparking off with stories and directions. He could be 70, but he moves like he's 20; one of those old men that just gets harder with age, like oak. He's a joy to work with. There are only eight people in this class, which is perfect, because it means that we can all get a chance to do some acting. That's our entire grade, acting out the scenes he's set for us to memorize with our parters. (We all partnered up in the first class. A freshman girl named Mallory is my partner. She seems nice.) There were three reaction papers that were to be 25% of our grade, but he told us to scrap those, as he hated grading papers. So the whole grade is acting. It's gonna be great.

ENG2935 (again), American Sci Fi: This was the course I was born to take. For one thing, the professor looks more or less identical to my father, except that he's a bit thinner and has gray hair instead of red hair. He seems like the sort of professor that's more suited to writing papers and studying quietly in his office...he doesn't seem the sort that takes that well to teaching. But he does a good job, with what he has. The assigned reading list:

Science Fiction: The SFRA Anthology ed. Warrick, Waugh, and Greenberg
Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
Dune by Frank Herbert
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Neuromancer by William Gibson
Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson
Kindred by Octavia Butler
Screening Space by Vivian Sobchack
Science Fiction After 1900 by Brooks Landon

And a packet containing many, many short stories, including The Last Question by Isaac Asimov and I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison. (Yes, he's depressing as heck, but he's a superb writer and no sci fi course would really be complete without him.) We must do ten short "reaction papers," but these will be graded on completeness, rather than accuracy. Still, though, I'm going to go all-out.

We're also watching movies in class. We saw most of The Day The Earth Stood Still last class, and we're going to go on to watch The Thing, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, and Blade Runner. So, y'know, I find it hard to imagine a course I'd rather be in than this one. Even the much-vaunted Honors course "Age of the Blockbuster," wherein one basically just watches movies and writes short papers on them, has the class watching movies that are much less interesting than these are. Couple that with the fact that I'm going to use my $45 in Barnes & Noble gift cards to brush up on my fantasy, starting on maybe the Wheel of Time or A Song of Ice and Fire series, I'll finally have read all those books I've been meaning to read. This will, in turn, make me that much better a writer when I go on to start publishing my own books, which I no doubt will in the future.

So that's my course rundown. Quite nice, eh? Yes, I thought so. Some tough classes, but some really fun classes. The long Wednesday I mentioned? First class is Artists in Several Media, second is Spanish (whatever), third is American Sci Fi. So, long, but incredibly awesome.

My Luke-Approved YouTube Link of the Day is something I've shown people before, but never here, so nyah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjUz8IT0CYg It's the Angry Nintendo Nerd, a guy who reviews old and terrible Nintendo games. Recently, he branched out (read: sold out) and became the Angry Video Game Nerd, but I liked him better as the Nintendo Nerd. This is one of his first videos, in which he rips into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. WARNING! He uses lots and lots of profanity, so, kind of NWS (Not Work Safe). But he's hilarious enough to compensate for this.

REPLIES.

Mom: Well, I consider it minor, in that we took the freaking Heisman Trophy with a sophomore star quarterback, so the year wasn't a total write-off. Besides, 9-4 is nothing to sneeze at. Better than the poor lamented Dolphins. Fisticuffs are part of the fun. I'm working out the financial troubles.

Vic: I think it's all square. I'll check for sure in the morning. I'll probably get used to the class, but I doubt very much I'll like it as much as some of the others I'm taking. What was this thing of which you speak? Yes, LEGO is awesome, as is everything that refers to it. Oh, and, er, we went to the gym. I overexerted myself and both my arms are still hurting.

Steve: I'll work something out. Why would you get a razor designed to scar your face? And playing in person is nice, if possible, and it currently isn't. Which reminds me, are you coming to the Morningtide prerelease? Almost the entire spoiler is up on mtgsalvation, and let me tell you, it's even crazier than Lorwyn was. I can't find a single bad card, no matter how hard I try. And the plot is one of the best parts in SPM.

Anonymous: My luck is too terrible at gambling to allow for that. And no shame in being unoriginal, if it results in money. You should understand that.

TJ: I thought it seemed...somehow...fatter in here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I stayed up and it payed off--I'm the first comment! So you've changed your schedule--good. I'll be watching out for that.

Your courses sound good. If you need help with Spanish, not doing your work for you of course, let me know...ha. I know you can do this, and you will NEVER be sorry to know another language. You just have to keep it up, basically your whole life for it to stick. I'll practice with you.

Te voy a escribir a cada rato en espanol para que practiques.

I like your ball of fire teacher--me gusta tu maestro entusiasmado. I esp. like the scifi course--el cursillo que mas me gusta es el de ficcion scientifica. And the teacher reminds you of Dad, huh?--
?Y el maestro te recuerda a Dad, eh?

Saturday we're going to Mass. but Dad will of course have his computer, so we'll be able to keep up with your posts--el sabado nos vamos a Mass. pero Dad claro que va a traer su ordinadora, asi que podremos seguir leyendo tus escritos.

I hope you like my comments and their translation; think of it as a little practice in Spanish--espero aprecies mis comentarios y la traduccion de los mismos; consideralo una practica de espanol.

Besos, abrazos y ternuras.
tu mama

rekenner said...

Wow. Your American Sci-Fi course sounds amazing. I've already read 3 of that list and have bought a 4th and plan on reading it ... eventually. I have a lot to read.
Dune is pretty good, but the series starts getting really out there after the first book. Starship Troopers is a great book. If you've seen the movie and are expecting anything at all similar to that, you're going to be overjoyed, as the book is totally different. (I didn't like the movie.) Neuromancer is a bit of an odd read - I had trouble understanding most scenes until I finished them then reread them.

Note about the Wheel of Time series - The author recently died, and the series is unfinished. (And I've heard a lot of bad things about it, but can't speak about it myself.) Now, Song of Ice and Fire I can speak about. It's an amazing series. Though, GRRM is taking forever to get the next book out. But, by the time you get through all your reading for American Sci-Fi and the first 4 books, the next one should hopefully be out.

Anonymous said...

This semester sounds like what your college courses should be. Some fun ones, some killer ones, but all of them extremely interesting and engaging and (dare I say it?) educational... :^)

As far as "soul-less, no-flair style", I think of it more as "focused on conveying as many facts as possible in the shortest amount of space", with everything else being squeezed out to satisfy that requirement. You are looking at this from the POV of the writer, which is fine. But you need to look at this from the POV of the reader, and ask yourself why people read news stories (which are different from features, as you have clearly identified). The reason is simple: to acquire facts. Not to be entertained, not to laugh, not to be convinced of the ONE TRUE WAY (though far too many writers and editors now see that as their goal, on both sides of the political aisle), but to be interested enough to keep reading to acquire more facts. So it is not soul-less, it is efficient.

As far as the SF course goes, that is a really fine syllabus. I might have tossed in something before 1960 (ok, the Heinlein is 1958, but still) like some of the pulps such as EE Smith Lensman or Burroughs Barsoom or Vance or Asimov robot series or ... And, I notice that there is not a single fantasy story there. If you want to kill off a class session, ask your teacher why a story is SF as opposed to fantasy: guaranteed to spark a lively debate. For example, does a story with telepathy qualify as SF or must it always be fantasy? The McCaffery Pern series is clearly fantasy, but what about Heinlein's "Time For The Stars", which is clearly SF?

The movie course also sounds cool. I hope you see the director's cut of Blade Runner, as the original cut was way too confusing and didn't explore a lot of the themes of the book.

If you are looking for a good fantasy series, may I recommend Barbara Hambly. Try Dragonsbane to start, and if you like that, I have most of the rest of her works.

As far as "the poor lamented Dolphins", I was listening to a radio show where they were talking about buzz-word bingo and the most over-used phrases of the year. The hosts declared the contest over when one caller said that the phrase that he found ridiculously over-used and tiresome was "The Dolphins lost again". :-( Maybe next year will be better.

-- Your proud Dad

Anonymous said...

When I said "ask me about it," I meant in real life... While I have no doubt that there is hardly anyone that reads your blog that would take notice, I can't just broadcast information about an on-going story over the interweb... Would have been fun though...

I really like the way that your dad put it about news writing. Every inch is precious, so extra flair would just serve to fatten the story and in turn bump something that could be more important than that little bit of wit.

Good luck with Spanish...
~Vic

Anonymous said...

You've got an interesting set of classes. I can't stand the spanish language. I took three years of that class and still can't speak more than a few simple phrases, let alone understanding the other person. At least I can sort of read it slowly I guess. You don't seem to have retained any more cuban'ness than I have, so I fear you will undergo similar issues in that class. I hope you pass, though.

I got such razors because I never really started to regularly shave in the past...if I shaved, I typically left a clogged drain. Hopefully this will make up for lost time and rough up my face a little. I look so different shaved, it's scary.

As for morningtide, I don't think I can make it, I'm still adjusting to my classes (organic chemistry in particular is a class meant to weed out the less capable) and orlando seems so far away right now. I took a look though, and you're right about the small amount of bad cards. I'm seeing a lot of powerful stuff, like (2)(R) for 2/2 changeling with "gains +1/+1 for every spell your opponent plays"...I'm noticing that cards tend to have more abilities per mana than they did in the past, which I'd guess increases the pace of development in the game. We could always draft it casually next time we meet.

I finished SPM, now I'm beating Mario Sunshine. I know I'm behind the curve a little, but it's not a bad game so far. The horrible voice acting is laughable though, haha.

-Steve

Anonymous said...

On an awesome note, I just go 2nd at this fsu tournament in smash brothers. Green Mario is still better than me, though, so I must learn from his amazingness. The final match was in the campus movie theater, we played on a huge projector screen, it was awesome. Update already!

-Steve

Anonymous said...

got*

-Steve