Monday, October 1, 2007

In Memoriam

Fred Marsh, my godfather, died last night. He was 57.

He had been battling cancer for a long time. By the time he knew he had it, it was too late for anything to be done. It had metastasized before they even knew it existed. He fought for as long as he could, but there was never really anything that could have been done.

But if there had been, he would have done it.

Fred and his wife Linda had been friends with my parents for over thirty years, I believe. They had met in college. They...I don't know enough about that period in his life to really write much about it. I know they had a son, David, who was born just shortly before my sister was. I know that there was a falling out between Fred and Linda and my parents because of this, because both Linda and my mother had been trying to have a child for a long time and Linda succeeded first, and my mother was very upset. That's all I know. That's not really his story, anyway.

Fred was a man who loved to laugh. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was his defining characteristic, but anyone who knew him knew about his sense of humor. He couldn't seem to let a conversation go by without letting slip a few witty remarks. Not at other people's expense, though. Never to harm. Only for fun. He was a naturally cheery person, and this cheeriness reverberated from him so strongly that it was impossible to be sad or upset in his presence for very long.

He bought me the fourth Harry Potter book for my twelfth birthday. I remember I was staying at his house at the time, I used to go up to stay with him and Linda every so often. I couldn't stop reading it. Harry Potter books have always had a great fascination with me; the first time through, I can never put them down. At three o'clock in the morning, I remember him finding me reading by flashlight and telling me I should go to bed. But not with any heat. He let me sleep in, and finish the book the next day.

I remember going with him and Linda to a vacation spot in Vermont, the name of which I cannot remember for the life of me. Had something to do with thieves...Thieves' Creek or Robbers' Gorge or something like that. David was with us, I think. Time erodes memory. We wanted to go to see Niagara Falls in Maine, but for some reason this was unavailable. The time I spent there was a lot of fun, not least because of Fred. Fred could make a root canal seem like a good time, if he was there.

I don't know this. I wasn't there. I don't know if I'll ever know for sure. But I would bet everything I own that he kept a smile until the end.

He took me to the Ben and Jerry's factory, in Vermont. We went on a tour of the place. I answered questions about the ice cream and got a free sample to take home with me.

We went minigolfing. We explored a woodsy area with a ravine that I nearly fell into. Every time I came up, he would take me and his family to Legal Seafoods, an amazing restaurant. Doubly so in New England itself. It must have cost him a lot of money, it's not a cheap place. Even so, we always went.

I'm going up to his funeral this weekend. Fred specified that afterwards, he didn't want a traditional ceremony. He wanted a party. A party to celebrate the good times of his life, not to mourn and mope about his death. Yes, I'm sad. I've cried some, I'm crying a little now as I write this. It's only right. He was too good of a person not to be sad at his passing. But he didn't want us to be paralyzed with grief. He wanted us to remember the good times, and think of him with smiles, not tears. And so a party we shall have.

It's traditional at this point to say "He was a good man, he left an impact on those around him, yadda yadda yadda." Well, the reason things become traditional is because they work. Yes, he was a good man. But he wasn't just...A lot of men are considered "good" just because they aren't actively bad. They're just inoffensive. Maybe they give to charity, maybe they buy a round of drinks for their friends. Maybe they adopt a puppy from an animal shelter. All good things, certainly, but that's not what makes a man truly a good man. That just makes him a man that does good things.

Fred was a good man because he loved life, and he shared that love with everyone around him. He always kept his spirits up. He was happy, and not the kind of fake happiness people put on like a mask to hide despair. He was genuinely happy, and believed that the world was a place that could do well with a little more laughter. He believed this so strongly that it burned, like a flame that was bigger than he is.

He did touch those around him. I'm convinced that I'm an actively better person for having met him. He taught me not to take things too seriously, to always try to enjoy yourself...to keep a smile on, a real smile. To keep a good attitude. I remember that his basement had a bunch of cartoon books that I read over and over again. That's probably what started me reading humorous material, which started me reading everything I could. Without him, I might not be a writer. And this is just my story. I don't know how he left a mark on everyone else, those are their stories.

I remember him telling a joke and laughing, laughing so infectiously that I started to laugh with him even though I didn't get it. I laughed because he was. If he was laughing, I thought, there must be something funny. There always was, with him.

I remember him smiling.

I can't remember him any other way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always sad when someone you know dies, especially when you felt close to the person. You should do as he requested and just remember the good stuff rather than simply mourn for him. It's better to be glad someone lived than to be sad someone died.

-Steve

Anonymous said...

Luke, good luck and try to have a fun time at your party. I may not have even been able to meet your uncle, but you already had me tearing up just reading about him.

Your favorite pair of jeans may fade because you've washed them so many times, but memories never lose their vibrancy. I'm sure his smile will continue to have you smile in turn, as long as you never forget it.

~Kelli

Anonymous said...

Luke...I'm sorry to hear that, man. I can't quite say I know what it feels like to lose a loved one, but it must be hard for you.

If I know you, Lucas, you'll bounce back with time. I always saw you as someone just as capable as spreading around happiness as your godfather himself. If you keep up that trend, things'll be fine before too long.

-Jake

Anonymous said...

I read that, and then I just sat for about 5 minutes, stunned. You have expressed his life better than I could, who knew him twice as long as you did. You have described him so well that you are reminding me of things that I had forgotten.

Yes, Linda and your mother had a falling-out, as you described. But it lasted until the moment she found out that she was pregnant with your sister, and at that instant they were closer than ever. The reason for the falling out was because your mother wanted you and your sister so much, that it was killing her to see her dearest friend get something she couldn't have: a child.

Luke, you have made the finest choice of career you could possibly make. Your writing is exemplary. Thank you for reminding me why Fred was my best friend in all the world, and some of the times that we shared.

-- Your extraordinarily proud Dad

Anonymous said...

Luke, what a great tale about Fred. You're right, he touched everyone he met, and all for the good. Even after his bad diagnosis, he spent a long car ride encouraging me and comforting me when I was so worried about your sister's health. The last thing I told him was that I was praying for him, and I still am.

Btw, it was Smugglers' Notch.

There's a phrase in Spanish: "Que me quiten lo bailao." It means, "You can't take away the dance I've already danced." The English equivalent is that song, "You can't take that away from me." Look up the lyrics and you'll see what I mean. I choose to remember people I love and have lost in that way, so instead of being sad that they're gone, I'm happy and thankful that I knew them and loved them, and that they loved me. Right now I'm so thankful to God for Fred Marsh, and for you.
love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Luke, he sounds like a good man, I would have lied to meet him. All in time I guess, I guess the only thing you can do is keep that smile alive, the one Fred wouldn't have wanted buried under grief. Stay strong Luke.
With love
Kait

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lucas, I just re-read this blog six weeks after Fred's death and it brought tears to my eyes. Fred would have been so happy that you felt that way. You were very special to him and he would have been delighted that you came to his "party." Too bad, he couldn't attend it himself.

Love,

LInda