Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Intro, Or, Why This Will Probably Fail

...So. Due to popular demand on the part of friends and family, I have started this here blog. I'd like to begin by saying that I really hate the word "blog"...I mean...blog. It sounds like a kind of marsh that as soon as you set foot into it, you hear a sucking noise, kind of like if someone tried to inhale a slug through a drinking straw, and your boot that you were assured by an overzealous shoe salesman would "stand up to any climate" disappears into the sludge, as if it had been stolen by the Swamp Thing, and you just can't face the thought of going in after it, so you leave, cursing softly under your breath, and for the rest of your vacation you're wearing one boot, one sandal, since you only brought those with you, figuring that sneakers wouldn't be suitable for "roughing it", and eventually...

Er. But I digress. So I say now that I will refrain from any further uses of that dreaded word. Instead, I will refer to this as my "online journal". It's more unwieldy to say and write, but it doesn't sound like something that gets stuck to the bottom of my shoe and I can't scrape off even with a stick, so I figure the pros outweigh the cons.

I plan to update this...online journal...three times a week. Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. I have enough spare time to bang out a twenty-minute chunk of prose nearly any day of the week, so I figure I'd keep it to an even schedule. Updates outside of the block may be made if something particularly newsworthy or interesting occurs in my life, and I just can't wait to tell people about it. Not extremely likely, though. And I picked this background because I read somewhere that light text on a dark background is easier on the eyes than the other way around, which makes sense.

In addition to the stuff that happens in my world, I'll also post other things that I find interesting. Reviews of video games, perhaps. Thoughts on random subjects. I'm essentially thinking about five or six separate things at any given time, and my mind feels like I'm constantly clicking "Random Article" in wikipedia, so don't expect any kind of order or clarity in my musings. It's a fool's errand.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I have kind of a self-discipline problem, hence, the title of this...website. (Near miss, there.) So I have decided to embark on an enticement program, to keep me operating and writing. Every week that I complete all the posts I said I would (Mon, Wed, Fri), I'll buy myself a pack of Magic cards. Laugh all you like, but I have a strong feeling it will work. At $4 a pack, it's not going to break my bank anytime soon, and it'll likely succeed in its goal of keeping me updating. So on Mondays, the first part of my post will probably be describing what cards I got from Friday's pack.

To anyone who doesn't know me, you might be wondering what distinguishes this blo...damn! This "online journal" from any of the millions of others out there. The answer? Not much. But my spelling and grammar are correct. That alone puts me in the top 10%, from what I see. And I'm just vain enough to think that my writing style is a cut above most, so if you find yourself agreeing, come and check this place out.

So that's all for now. The next update will come tomorrow, as promised, this one being by way of an introduction. And by the way, in case the name of the page hadn't clued you in, I'm Luke. I go to the University of Florida. And that's just about all I'm comfortable with sharing with the entire Internet, screaming mass of hooligans that it is, but I can't imagine people demanding to know more about my personal life. That's the path to madness, folks.

I'll end with an amusing exchange that took place at yesterday's football game (UF vs. Tennessee, 59-20. We crushed faces all game long, it was beautiful.)

Me: "We're up by over five touchdowns. This is madness."
My friend: "Madness? THIS...IS...FLORIDA!!"

The best part being, I didn't even see the joke coming until he finished it. It's just one of those things that works out, y'know?

Peace.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Sup Luke! I don't know how you plan on transitioning from a semi-yearly report to a semi-daily report without losing some sleep straining for material to write about, but perhaps your magic cards can adequately fill the voids in your mind where well rested sanity should be. No guarantees I'll read this at any regular pace, at least not at the pace you plan to write it, but luckily history reminds me that your plans don't always seem to execute exactly as you planned *fondly remembers well-equipped creatures failing to guard a frightened and frustrated Luke as they bounce back into the aether while acutely suffering from denial over the few but great 10/10 doublestriking unblockable untargetable indestructable creatures that did wreak havoc upon my imagined wizard counterpart*.

WOOT! First comment!

La Zinga said...

Well, I suppose that's one way to do it. Rest assured, I'll be checking every day for new updates like the creepy, debatably straight stalker that I am. Rest assured.

Welp. Seeya next weekend for that Onslaught draft!

-Jake

Noxshade said...

Hello Luke.

Well this is certainly interesting. I will always remember the increasingly un-weekly Lucas Report. The title that I will always remember the most is “The Mercifully Unnamed Lucas Report.”
Well, as you probably know, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is out, and I’m still hunting down one last missile expansion. If you don’t hear enough about the game from a ma here, then you’ll certainly hear enough about it from me when you come down. Of course, if you DO hear enough about it I will still talk your ear off when you come down anyway. Just kidding.
Being the money hog that I am, I will probably not participate in the Onslaught draft. By the way, the picture we used for “Gary Thunder, Law-maker Mage” is pretty awesome. I’m sure you’ll love the card; I’ll print out some of the more interesting and fun cards when you come down. Just wait until you see “Dan the Doctor Man.”
Well, I feel like this test of my computer’s voice recognition software is enough. See you soon.

-Thorn in Your Side; Matt.

Anonymous said...

Luke...ok fine, just as long as Jake is your only stalker and you don't get anymore I think I'll be able to deal..with..this *Hand movement* I'll try to understand...this...it just might work. Keep at it.

The never ending fount of patience,
~Kait

Anonymous said...

Your review is way too long. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Many years ago, I was in the FSU Marching Chiefs, and we were 5-0 and the Gators were 0-5. Needless to say, FSU was fairly confident about winning the football game in Doak Campbell stadium.

As we were marching off the field after our repeat of the half-time show to the other side at the end of the game, I looked up at the scoreboard which read FSU 3, UF 49, and screamed to the heavens "How? Why?", and a senior walking next to me said "This is the FSU-UF game: previous records mean absolutely nothing". And this observation has held up through the 3 1/2 decades since then: you cannot predict the FSU-UF game based on records.

Good luck to UF this year, and I hope you wind up 11-1... :^)

-- Luke's proud father